Tuesday, March 18, 2008

LEADERSHIP LESSON # 2 ( shut up and listen)




If you missed my first blog, I mentioned that I have been reflecting on my leadership skills the past few weeks .This is part 2 of my leadership lesson series that i hope would help you in any area of your life..


lesson # 2 : SHUT UP AND LISTEN


As a person with a strong personality ( I got this from my mother and i think my son got this from me) ,I tend to dominate conversations and meetings. Too often I would be the guy talking and coming up with ideas after ideas. That worked but in order for me to get to the next level i needed to adjust.

Recently, I had learned a valuable leadership nugget. I can sum it up by saying "L.A. SHUT UP AND LISTEN!!"

The bible talk about listening. let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance — ( ps 1:5)

Im not saying hold your ideas and not contribute in meetings , but what i am saying is that we truly listen... not just hear but LISTEN we can pick up awesome things from other people.

Try listening... while running your meetings, counseling, or simply just a conversation with a youth. You will be blown away with insights you will receive.

Great leaders have mastered the art of listening. Guys, time to get rid of earwax...( that was a gross illustration) and START LISTENING!!!

No comments: